The Marvin House is a magnificent Shingle Style house
located at the corner of Fifth and Main Streets in Jamestown,
New York. The original house, which was purchased by Robert
and Elizabeth Warner Marvin in 1897 was an eight-room
farmhouse with an appealing neighborhood and location. The
Marvin’s retained Ernest G. W. Dietrich of New York City to
design and build additions to the front and south side of the
home. His design resulted in a handsome home with great
character and charm.
The architecture seamlessly blends elements from the Art
Nouveau, Arts and Crafts and Eastlake styles. Vastly different
design styles intermingle with one another to produce an
environment of enchantment enjoyed by the upper class during
the early 1900’s. The home’s exterior is clad in an unadorned
surface of painted wood shingles and rough-hewn stone. Its
domed turrets, verandah and steeply pitched roofline offer a
rustic informality that blends seamlessly with the landscape. The
interior radiates an informal elegance that offers a warm and
welcoming atmosphere. Interior details include finely crafted
fireplaces and woodwork of rare and fine woods throughout.
2 W. Fifth Street, Jamestown NY
Group and bus tours available
Copyright © 2018 Marvin House - All Rights Reserved.
Designed By Will N