Phone us at: 716-488-6206

Historic Information

image113

  Elizabeth Warner married Robert Marvin on October 9, 1889.

The lovely homes of that era changed hands several times before being

torn down or converted into lodges, funeral parlors, or institutions of various

kinds. In leaving her beautiful home to the women of Jamestown, as a

clubhouse. Mrs. Marvin had visions of the fate of other homes and she took

this means of preventing her residence from being turned into a glorified

drinking club or a gas station.

The Marvin House originally was an eight-room farmhouse, owned by Mrs.

Richard Lewis. The old house opened on Main Street. Even though it was

an old house, it was the location and the neighborhood that appealed to Mr.

Marvin. He bought the building in 1989 and proceeded to build rooms

around it in front and on the south side. It is said that he might better have

built a new home from scratch – he spent a small fortune on it. Architect,

E.G.W. Dietrich, from New York City, designed the Marvin House.

The Marvin Community House is a stunning example of E.G.W. Dietrich’s

“Shingle Style” architecture, it seamlessly blends elements from the Art

Nouveau, Arts and crafts, and Eastlake styles. Mr. Dietrick designed and

built four houses in the city about the same time, the ML Fenton house,

William Proudfit and Frederick Hall houses.

When completed it was considered to be one of the most handsome

houses in Western New York. No expense was spared in the use of rare

woods in the various rooms. There are many picturesque nooks and

corners, among them is the circular reception room domed ceiling

supported by columns that rest on a paneled wainscoting with curved

sliding doors.

The Marvin House is listed in a report titled “Historic Preservation of

Chautauqua County”, prepared by the County Department of Planning and

Development. The house was rated the best Queen Anne (or shingle style

structure) in the county and was given a Priority 1 rating for homes that

should be preserved under any circumstances.

 

  

 

 

Mr & Mrs Marvin

image114

Elizabeth Marvin

Elizabeth was a woman ahead of her time, a woman of culture and with

many facets, a compassionate generous philanthropist, a woman with a

dream for the future of Jamestown’s women. She loved art and music and

was a member of the Fortnightly Club and the Mozart Club. She belonged

to the Century Art Club and the Daughters of the American Revolution.

Elizabeth Warner was born in Jamestown in 1866. She was educated

locally then sent off to Miss Brown’s Finishing School on Fifth Avenue in

New York City.

On October 7, 1889, at the age of 24, Miss Elizabeth Warner was married

to Robert Marvin. He was considerably older, 45, and like Elizabeth came

from an influential family. The wedding was considered the “Wedding of

the Century”.

Living across the street from the Jamestown Club (men only), her

husband’s favorite haunt, inspired Elizabeth to bequeath her home to

provide for a private meeting place for the moral or mental improvement of

women. Elizabeth Marvin died in 1950. In 1951 four hundred women

became charter members of the Marvin Community House

  

 

  

 

 

image115

Robert Marvin

Robert Marvin was born in Jamestown in 1845. He was educated in the

public schools and took a course at Hartwick Seminary in Otsego County.

Following that he studied at Bryant and Stratton Business College in

Buffalo. His community involvement was immense.

He was trustee and executor of many large fortunes and estates

throughout the Chautauqua County region and was held in unvarying

confidence by everyone who knew him. He was executor of the vast

Prendergast property

He organized the first telephone company, first water company and chaired

the committee that drafted the first city charter. He was involved with Lake


View Cemetery, Ellicott Hook and Ladder Co, Gustavus Adolphus Home,

Town Board of the Town of Ellicott, helped form the Chautauqua Lake

Railroad and Jamestown Street Railroad.

As he was a bit of a playboy, he enjoyed his active membership in the

Jamestown Club, which was housed in the Tew House, across from the

Marvin House. Robert died in 1909 after 19 years of marriage. He was 63.